Monday, November 19, 2007

the short story of happiness

we're sitting at the heorot enjoying a 22oz arrogant bastard when it hits us.

ande and i have been through a lot. affairs, divorces, lies, fakes, friends and moving back and forth across the country. in the just under two years that we've known each other we have felt and been through some of the deepest gut splintering emotions a man can have. we sat at the heorot and talked about our utter naivety towards happiness growing up. we believed happiness was out there and we've both had a few brief encounters with it.

for so many years i searched and searched but to no avail have i found happiness. i've heard about it. i've occasionally seen it but there is no constancy. so we've given up. we don't believe it to be real and in the midst of our post-tragic apologue we've discovered happiness while accepting the absence of it altogether. by finding contentment in the ordinary we have truly found our version of happiness.

my friend and genius mr. wik(ipedia) enlightened me that happiness is an emotion. that is why no one can truly keep it. emotions change along with life and events but contentment is the acceptance of what surrounds us. how settled i have felt since i've realized the flow of happiness and the acceptance of the mundane.

6 comments:

amanda said...

Funny... my close friend and I have that discussion regularly. We love to believe in happiness, but it's most often confused with naivety. Oh how the bitter and jaded weep...

Anonymous said...

happiness and contentment are very different.

Anonymous said...

i miss the h and ande

Anonymous said...

I saw you today. Well not perse but you inside of another. You have talent and passion and music in your heart. You may not become a rockstar but I think your faith and music is what I saw in the "you" today. Watch Autumn Rush and you will know what I mean. Yeah its another movie I know. I think of you.

amanda said...

Yeah.. I kind of had one of those days where you have to stop everything and just freak out.

mgordonmiller said...

lies and fakes are pretty terrible, eh? yeah, hard to be happy when you've been so victimized.